Tuesday 16 June 2015

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Captain Phillips and Apocalypse Now


One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' was a film I felt as if I should watch. After Jack Nicholsons incredible acting in The Shining, watching this film was a 'no brainer' to me. Although the film is nearly 40 years old the picture quality was excellent considering the time it was made. However the Blu-Ray disc is probably the reason why. I truly didn't know that much about the film before watching it, I only knew that it was highly rated on IMDB (8.8!) and that it had something to do with a mental institute. That being said ; the storyline was easy to follow. I thought the film was excellent, at first I was a bit apprehensive, but when it got further in it got better. Needless to say that Jack Nicholson done a great job acting as the main character. The storyline was solid throughout and included twists. The antagonist of the film was a Nurse who worked in the institute and Louise Fletcher done a great job of acting as her, she came across as such a horrible person to the audience, which is what the director wanted us to feel to support the main character (Jack Nicholson) I would recommend
this film as it I have never seen a film like it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Captain Phillips
I talked about this film in one of my previous posts stating that I wanted to watch it, well I did watch it and it was quite a good film. It is quite a slow paced film in terms of action, but this is due to it being based on a true story. Tom Hanks once again done a great job of acting and it was crucial for the director to get a good actor for the main character to show what the persons reactions were like as if it was real life. An 8.1 on IMDB is high, especially for a critical website. If I was to judge what it got beforehand I would have said a 7.5 this is because although it is a good film, it is slow paced and not a great deal happens. This is down to the true story it portrays. I did think it was a good film, and am glad I watched it, but thought it would be slightly better than what it was.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apocalypse Now
This film is one of the highest rated war films to date and with it being directed by the maker of The Godfather, you expect it to be good. I love Vietnam war films, and war films in general like Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, and I watched this film after I seen those. I did enjoy the film, but the last half an hour or so was where the film went downhill for me. I found it totally irrelevant and strange and I felt like it let the film down. I had high expectations for the film and I did enjoy it right up until the last half an hour, and I was disappointed with this, as I felt it could have been a lot better if it stayed on the path that it did previous. Although I have this annoyance with the film, other peoples and critics opinions seem to differ as IMDB gave this a whopping 8.5 and Rotten Tomatoes having an average rating of 8.9!! This ending to the film must be enjoyed by many viewers if it gets such a high rating as the ending is a huge part of the film.
The famous 'Charlie Don't Surf' scene <-------


No comments:

Post a Comment