Thursday 18 June 2015

Robert Zemeckis, No Country for Old Men and Slumdog Millionaire

Hey, I'm Phill. I'm 18 years old from Liverpool and enjoys watching films regularly. This is my blog which includes reviews and thoughts on a variety of films such as Nightcrawler and Big. Here is a link to my Twitter <- Please click to be linked to my personal Twitter account!


Robert Zemeckis


Robert Zemeckis is an incredibly successful figure in the film industry. He is the man responsible for the Back To The Future series, Forrest Gump and also Cast Away. All of these films are highly successful and also famous internationally especially Forrest Gump. I personally had never heard of him until I was researching on IMDB. It was interesting to discover that the maker of all those great films that I have seen was unknown to me. This also demonstrates how often the directors of films do not get a great deal of credit in comparison to the actors. Actors are always the more well-known as they are the ones often being advertised to promote the films. When in reality its the director whom has the hardest job due to him deciding on everything about it. He is hugely talented in film making and doesn't get as much credit as the likes of Spielberg. Forrest Gump is an incredible film, as are the Back To The Future series and Cast Away. It is beneficial now that I am aware of who he is as I can use him for future reference when watching films as seeing his name will encourage me to watch a film more, knowing that its been directed by him. The picture in the top left hand corner is Robert Zemeckis (left) and Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump (right) this is the bench that features in the 'Life is like a box of chocolates scene'!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I watched No Country For Old Men on the weekend, after seeing the trailer and hearing about the film it inspired me to watch it. The film has little dialogue, which I believe suits the film as the main character is often very lonely in the film. The acting from the antagonist played by Javier Bardem was excellent, his actions and also little dialogue shown to the audience how dangerous he was, which was vital for the storyline, as the main character of the film could never escape this man. In addition the acting from the main character played by Josh Brolin was also good, as despite him having such a huge bounty on his head, the character showed his bravery which led the audience into a false sense of security as we would expect him to survive, and in actual fact he doesen't which also shows how dangerous the antagonist is in the film. I would certainly recommended it as it is evidently a good film with a solidly structured storyline. It also received an 8.1/10 on IMDB which is considerably high. Also it received an oscar in 2007, which shows that the film is worth watching.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slumdog Millionaire was directed by Danny Boyle and at the time of its release (2008) the film received a tonne of praise and also gained a huge amount of attention. At the time the film was receiving a large number of 5 star ratings and was hugely popular when released. However when I watched it I believe that the film was overhyped. I agree it is quite a good film, but not worthy of the hype it received. Especially knowing that The Dark Knight was released the same year, which I believe is on another level. Yes it is arguable as they are completely different in terms of storyline, I just found Slumdog Millionaire to be an over hyped film for what it was. This film is also an oscar winner, which is yet again debatable as in my opinion The Dark Knight was a much better film. The first 17 days of the films release, it had a gross of £10.24 million in the UK alone, which clearly shows how popular the film was.
IMDB also shows the huge difference in films between The Dark Knight and Slumdog Millionaire as the Batman epic received 9.0 where as Slumdog received 8.0, this is a huge difference in rating and also supports my opinion as I think that Slumdog was not worthy of an Oscar.





No comments:

Post a Comment